Thursday, April 1, 2010

The End of the Dream

Well, tomorrow we get up, pack the car and head back to reality.  I'm not really all that thrilled about the prospect either.  Think about it, I'm in a (almost) tropical paradise filled with sights, sounds and smells I've never experienced before.  Well, not in person; pictures, books and movies don't count.  I've spent the last week with a fabulous companion and we've lived (and eaten, boy have we eaten) like royalty.  No pressures, no responsibilities, no nothing.  Like I said before, a week of doing nothing.  So, why the hell would I want to come home? 

I have seen some things that begged for comment.  Like the name of a restaurant in Clearwater that had the phrase "fire grill" in it.  I'm sorry, I didn't realize there was another type of grill.  Other than a car grille, of course.  Not only is that spelled different, it's out of context.  What the hell does that have to do with a Bar and Grill?  But, one of favorite signs all week has been the one at a Tarpon Springs Seafood Market and Restaurant.  Check this out:

Just in case you don't get the joke, here's a link to help you out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_louse.  Got it?  Good, now you have to wonder what they were thinking when they had this sign made up.  Was it a joke?  Did they not see the obvious reference?  Either way, it's not good.  If it's the former, they have very poor taste.  The latter, they're not real bright.  I don't plan on eating here in the foreseeable future, though.  Another sign on the same day, at the same place also brought some merriment.  This one was a misread:



Girlfriend caught a glance of this and thought it said "Sea Fart" cruise.  Replace the "sea" with "old" and you'd be on the money right.  We're both late 40's/early 50's and we were some of the youngest people on the boat.  It was a fun cruise though.  Even got to see a dolphin.  But, no manatees or alligators.  I'm a little disappointed by that.  Oh well, life goes on.

I've eaten some of the best food I ever put in my mouth.  A mahi mahi sandwich that was, without doubt, the absolute best fish sandwich that I've ever had.  And, Greek food, oh my God!  Tarpon Springs has a huge Greek community because of the sponge trade, so that influence is very heavy.  I've eaten gyro's (lamb on  pita with tzatziki sauce), chicken souvlaki (marinated chicken on a pita), soutzoukakia (Greek meatballs), Pastitsio (Greek lasagne) and for dessert: Ec Mec (?), strawberry kok, and of course, baklava.   And, every bit of it is delicious.  The price is right and the service excellent.  The Greeks are wonderful folks. 

There are a few things that are bringing me back home though.  Work (ugh), responsibility (barf), sleeping in my own bed (yay!!!),  and seeing my daughters (absence does make the heart grow fonder) are just a few.  The rest are personal, so mind your own business.  I'll also be back on a more normal schedule and remember what day it is without looking at my watch.  Well, maybe not that last bit.  I am getting older, and my memory was never that good to begin with.  So, be on the look out for more stuff here on your favorite blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment